CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 5, 2009

Long Distance Caregiver

As I get older, my parents are getting older too! Although, as they get older they may not be counting down or celebrating the same way I am. I find that my sister and I are somewhat long distance caregivers/listeners for my Dad and stepmother since they live in Florida. As they get older they need so much more support than ever before. After having a talk with my stepmom about finances, health insurance, bills etc. she was very overwhelmed and so was I. It's really not that easy getting older however, I found out being a compationate listner even from afar can be of some comfort to the elderly. After a while though, I must admit she was wearing me out, even despite the texting my sister and I was doing during the phone call (we're so tech savvy). But this was a reminder that this could be me one day talking to my now 9 & 12 year old boys. It reminded me that I need to make sure I instill compassion in my own kids so they can be prepared for the long road ahead of them which may include caring for their parents physically and/or emotionally. I know I'm not a Psychotherapist or anything but after that phone call I think I deserve some type of title. This is Dr. Almost 40 signing off!

2 comments:

  1. This is Dr. Almost 30 seconding that emotion! Let's hang in there girl. I'm with you although I'm not looking forward to Nigel caring for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ladies I just caught up with the blog. haven't read it in a while and I'm just loving it. Sandy you write so well you need to start working on that book!

    ReplyDelete