CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 8, 2009

Optimism or Cynicism?

The other day someone was telling me about a mutual acquaintance of ours that was getting married. Normally the eternal optimist that I am (or used to be) would be thrilled and elated. I politely showed excitement and hopefulness for the new couple. Then out of now where 'Ol Lady Cynicism' rared her ugly head right in my mind. I began to think 'oh yeah right...another unhappy couple in America. Yeah, they'll do well with that 50% divorce rate creeping up the charts. Is that brother even working?' OMG! I was horrified! Who was this horrible voice of pessimism screaming in my head? Ol' Lady Cynicism is that you? I have had an experience with this intruder before but never this intense. Ol Lady Cynicism comes around every now and again when I get super excited or enthusiastic about something. She's so cynical and pessimistic. I remember back in my twenties when someone would tell me about upcoming nuptials and I would be beside myself thinking "another happy family in the making". Remember those super optimistic thoughts of our twenties...oh how cute. Now Ol Lady Cynicism steps right in to distort any optimistic thought I can conjure up...it's totally crazy. In a world where everything seems so bleak these days we must fight the thoughts Ol' Lady Cynicism and know that if we have to make a choice between optimism or cynicism, optimism is always the better choice, even though cynicism can be sooooo funny!

1 comment:

  1. What would life be without "Ol Lady Cynicism". She's my road dawg!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete