CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Final goodbyes...


Yesterday was the committal service for my dad. A committal service is when the ashes (which have already been put into an ern) are prayed over, blessed with holy water and then placed in what is called a niche (which is similar to a burial plot except it's for people who have been cremated-which was allegedly his request according to my stepmother). The ern was beautiful. For some reason that made me feel really good. I don't know, maybe in my mind it was as if he was placed in a platinum coffin or something but it really gave me some comfort. The ern had his name, life & death dates and a beautiful inscription that simply read "Rest In Peace". The Episcopal Father who conducted the service asked if we,"the family" would like to have words. This should have consisted of Myself, my sister and stepmother, however my stepmother didn't show up (let's not even go there). We drove 2.5hrs from Orlando, which is where we were staying for part of my time in FL, to see my dads final resting place and my stepmom (who lives in that town down the road) didn't even bother to show up. What's that about?

Anyway, we said our goodbyes. I was sad, but I felt closure and I felt good that he was placed in a beautiful ern. I never really thought about that before, but nice things really make a difference. Shout out to Kay-Pongers funeral and cremation services (http://www.kays-ponger.com/). Hey even a funeral home needs a shout out every now and again.

Even though I'm a big girl (almost 40), it's really been hard having to come to this realization and conclusion that my father has passed on. God has really giving me strength through this. My mom already passed away so it's like wow...I have no parents. It feels a little empty. Sorry for being so melancholy but being almost 40 comes with alot of sucky moments like this. I really just have to try and remember the times (like Micheal Jackson said).

Bye Daddy...

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sandy,
    I love your tributes to your dad. I am only sorry that I could not make it to Florida to support you and the family. Love you much. Keep writing...it's good! Wanza

    ReplyDelete