CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

That'll learn ya!

That’ll learn ya!

“That’ll learn ya” [That will learn you] is a southern phrase I have recently started using. I first heard it from my sister, who says her friend in Atlanta, Georgia uses it a lot. It means (to paraphrase) “that experience will teach you a lesson that you will learn from…so you won’t do it again.” I happen to love this phrase because it’s catchy, has some slang and is so so true!

This morning we (meaning me) woke up a little late…but not late enough that we couldn’t get to school in time. My boyz (gotta love that “z” huh?) and I had to really hustle. Well, let’s just say I was the only one hustling…my youngest son had an “alleged altercation” (as my kids get older everything is alleged because they always deny and I only have one other witness--his sibling) in the kitchen. After that episode was over, they were strolling around complaining about breakfast options, sitting down watching tv and all sorts of things that aren’t conducive to getting out the door in a timely fashion. I had already talked to them about our going green plan which is bike riding to school. Due to a medical appointment and several other errands I had already planned, I would not be able to drive them to school. So hook or crook they were riding whether they get there late or not. I hate for them to be late when we are so close to the school, but I think as the kids get older they need to take on some of the responsibilities of the morning rush. It’s always on me! I know I’m the mom but I’m the only one feeling the pinch while they are chilling watching tv and fighting in the kitchen when they know they’re not supposed to be in the kitchen at the same time. They need to sweat and figure things out on their own also so they can be independent. So I told them, “I don’t care what time it is, yall ARE riding to school and yall better get there on time.” My oldest son starting hustling and negotiating with me and I stood my ground. I must say I felt awful. I felt like I was letting them out in a rough ocean on a little piece of wood to try and make it to shore. But I thought to myself if I drive them they will always think I’m going to work things out for them.

As I stood on the porch waving good by @8:18am hoping and praying they got to school by 8:30am, I couldn’t help but think “That’ll learn ya!”

P.S. – I found out later that day that my youngest son was on time and the oldest was 5min. late. After speaking to my sister (who never feels bad when situations like this happens with my teenage nephew) I felt much better about it.

P.S.S. – When the boyz came home from school they noticed they forgot their bike lock and asked me to drive them to get it. “No darling, ride back to school and get it,” I told them. They were thoroughly annoyed but did it. That’ll learn ya—twice!
Copyright 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment